Translate

Friday, June 20, 2014

Final Thoughts

As I am writing this, it is officially my last few hours in Dunedin. Almost everyone else has left and this place feels like a ghost town in some post apocalyptic movie. It's windy and we don't have heat, the food in my flat is almost gone, all the windows are dark. I am so excited to get home and get out of this eerie place. I already miss everyone so much.

It also occurred to me that so many things end as they begin. I will be flying into Auckland this morning and flying out of Auckland tomorrow morning very early. I slept on a couch in my sleeping bag last night, much like I slept on the floor in a hostel my first night in New Zealand. I used my travel deodorant for the first time since my travels almost five months ago and just that smell brought back so many memories of getting up in the early morning, nervous and excited to see what adventures awaited that day.

New Zealand is a wonderful place, and many of the places and people here will always hold a special place in my heart for the role they played in not only my education, but my development into the person I am now and the person I will be later in life. I never thought it was possible to get so close to complete strangers from across the globe so quickly and just how much these people would mean to me at the end of my stay here. Anyone from 378, my doors are always open and my couch is always available.

It is a weird feeling, leaving here. As I said earlier I'm excited to get home, but I also wish we could get everyone back together again for one more night. It's bittersweet knowing that what I got to experience was so amazing, but it will also never be the same again. There is a time and a place for everything and there is no place I would rather have spent my last 139 days than in Dunedin with my complex.

In short, I love you all and I hope that between now and when I see you again that you are prosperous and happy.

All the best,

-Sam

The World of Complex 378 Leith St.

No comments:

Post a Comment